Would a becto app be beneficial?

Discussion in 'General' started by Patrick33345, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Green_Fred

Green_Fred Well-Known Member

Green_Fred
    Invader
    Nah an app would be cool to lol

2. Patrick33345

Patrick33345 Active Member

Patrick33345
    Raider
    I should have an early build by tonight that everybody with an Android can test. Unfortunately since I can't put it on the play store (at least not yet) I'll have to go through another method. I'm actually using the app right now to post this so I believe it's working pretty smoothly as it.

3. Lucas S.

Lucas S. Well-Known Member

schottler3
    Veteran
    With the easy functionality of the website I've rethought this a bit and I see that it would probably be very much the same as if you were to use the website.

4. Dartino15

Dartino15 Well-Known Member

Dartino19
    God
    Just for those who might try it out - how would signing in to their Becto forum account work? Or would they just browse without signing in?

5. Patrick33345

Patrick33345
    Raider
    You would sign in normally as of now it still goes through becto so there's no need to worry about security. Also you can choose "remember me" for a one time sign in and it should work fine.

6. Patrick33345

Patrick33345
    Raider
    I'm following all of bectos TOS so you wouldn't have to worry about that logging in even goes through becto I have no access to the app on your phone as it is all local and you would have to go through becto forums to get an update if I ever released one. I am a Google developer so I could post it on the play store and have updated pushed through that. But the only reason I asked is to see if people would want it. If it's not going to be used I see no reason to continue developing it.

7. Skizzles

Skizzles Well-Known Member

ISkizzlesI
    God
    I honestly would want approval of Bas before and someone to check that no passwords are logged. Just because you say one thing you can do another.

8. Auttumnnn

Auttumnnn Well-Known Member

Auttumnnn
    God
    Although I have an IOS device and not an Android, I think this is a neat idea and we should give it a shot.:)

9. Patrick33345

Patrick33345
    Raider
    I understand that but there would be no way for me to log passwords I have no connection to the app once it's on your phone it's all local. And bass has given me permission as I have already contacted him through discord.

10. Patrick33345

Patrick33345
    Raider
    I don't have any proof other than my 25$ up front cost to be a developer if you search "Google developer" it's actually quite easy to become one. And yes I understand all the concerns and everything but this is the web version just better optimized to run on your phone. Logging in and everything goes through this website. I have no intention to collect any user data and never will.

#30 Patrick33345, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  11. Nestastic

Nestastic Well-Known Member

wafe
    God
    I think Becto might not be big enough to have a dedicated app for it. Browser apps are good enough as it is in my opinion.

12. Skizzles

Skizzles Well-Known Member

ISkizzlesI
    God
    Heres what I would require to support this idea.
    1 show approval from Bas or even @Bas reply to this post.
    2 Any sort of profile of what you have developed to get a sense of who we are working with.
    3 even though data is stored local you can still cache passwords lol it requires a net connection and traffic can be forwarded to other sources. So I would want proof of such
    4 Since this is a free project, a github with source code access so those of us who have that coding background can check for any source of mishandling of user info. And could always fork edits.

I think these are reasonable requests, because even becto staff do not have access to our password as it goes through xenforo and encrypted as such. They can force a password reset but that's about it. Personally I use my forum password on other services and would rather not risk any sense of my information going where it shouldn't.

I tried to type this as respectful and informational as could be, if it seems another way then by all means let me know.

13. BorderPlayz

BorderPlayz Banned

bordrr
    God
    aha thought the same

14. Jetpuffed

Jetpuffed Well-Known Member

Jetpuffed
    God
    I don't know Swift (iOS), but I could build one using Android's NDK

15. Boogie

Boogie Well-Known Member

_Boogie
    God
    If a Becto app was going to be made I would much prefer someone like you make it rather than a player within the community (mostly because you would be more trustworthy than the player).

16. Warrior356

Warrior356 Well-Known Member

Warrior356
    God
    Hey mate cause you know how to make it don't expect Bas to let a player have all the forums details of players. This post should have been why not a Becto app? Not I can make it just gimme the info -_-. Pretty Sure @Jetpuffed Is more then capable of doing such a thing. Now back to my feedback I don't think this would make a great difference to Becto as the community is not really massive and plus what would be the point of this exactly? Whenever I want to check on Becto I can simple hit google chrome on my phone and type in Becto.net and check it out for myself.

Its -1 From me

17. BorderPlayz

BorderPlayz Banned

bordrr
    God
    I’d rather have jet do this.

18. Ivy_Night

Ivy_Night Well-Known Member

Ivy_Maze
    Invader
    But I do think it would be best done by the owner by the server, or that somehow it could be proven to the owner that no personal data can be stored.

19. auns

auns Guest

Rather than creating a separate mobile app which requires maintenance and security patches it would be more maintainable to register a service worker and create it as a PWA. There's not enough users to warrant a full app just for this specific site, and there wouldn't be enough dev resources/time to maintain it for those few users that do happen to download it. Once set up as a PWA then it would be trivial to add a wrapper around to distribute as an app since there wouldn't really be any code changes required. For most intents and purposes though a PWA would prompt the user to add to home screen, and pretty much behave as they would expect an app to anyways. There were talks in xenforo about integrating this for the next release, which was sought to specifically address the fact there's not a dedicated app for xenforo, but I haven't followed progress on it for a while.

20. Lucas S.

Lucas S. Well-Known Member

schottler3
    Veteran
    Idk bout y'all, but I just made a shortcut. Basically an app. #android