Villager-based iron farms?

Discussion in 'General' started by idontknw, Mar 22, 2020.

1. idontknw

idontknw Active Member

idontknw
    Veteran
    When the survival reset happened, I decided to build a big villager-based iron farm. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but it doesn't seem to be working and when I test it out it doesn't work, even with a simple single-village design. I was wondering if anyone knows whether iron golem spawns from villagers are disabled and if not what could be causing this, as it's working in a singleplayer world

2. Lord_Premiere

Lord_Premiere Active Member

Lord_Premiere
    Ultra
    What I can tell you is spawn rates for all npc's are insanely low so its probably because of that.

3. idontknw

idontknw Active Member

idontknw
    Veteran
    Iron golems aren’t affected by normal spawn rates, and someone else told me they are specifically disabled

4. Lord_Premiere

Lord_Premiere
    Ultra
    Oh okay, and I know its the panic stuff with he 45 second interval and all that hooplah but I was assuming that they found a way to lower it anyways but nice to know.

5. idontknw

idontknw Active Member

idontknw
    Veteran
    That’s for 1.14+, it’s different in 1.12. But yeah I didn’t see a single one so I think it’s disabled

6. Lord_Premiere

Lord_Premiere
    Ultra
    oh well I'm not to big into anything aside from walking around and staring at stuff tbh so it doesn't surprise me that I'm wrong but good luck with getting a new farm idea together

7. TriactaSwift

TriactaSwift Well-Known Member

Triacta
    Veteran
    I think we already had a discussion about this somewhere else but iron golem spawns ARE specifically disabled to encourage people spending $40s on an iron golem spawner.

8. idontknw

idontknw Active Member

idontknw
    Veteran
    The thing is, iron golem spawner sales weren’t affected at all back in the 1.8 survival so they probably wouldn’t be this time either

9. TriactaSwift

Triacta
    Veteran
    I don't think villager based iron farms were widely used in 1.8 either.

10. idontknw

idontknw Active Member

idontknw
    Veteran
    They weren’t, which is my point. They won’t be widely used so they won’t affect iron golem spawner sales

11. TriactaSwift

Triacta
    Veteran
    I think people would much rather build massive villager based iron farms than spend $40 on the server for the same reason why people would rather use profit shops and pumpkin farms than buy money from the /store, its just economically practical. It would also cut out an entire portion of the economy, why use someone else's iron profit shop when you could just build your own?

12. idontknw

idontknw Active Member

idontknw
    Veteran
    But they wouldn’t. As I covered in my other comments, villager-based farms are super technical and take a ton of time to get to full efficiency, and even then you can only afk at one at a time. Spawners are still a lot better than villager farms

13. TriactaSwift

Triacta
    Veteran
    IDK I feel like most players would rather build an Iron farm for free than pay the exuberant amounts of money it takes to get IG spawners. Either way I don't think iron golem spawning will ever be enabled especially since it has become much much easier to make efficient iron farms in more recent versions of the game.

14. idontknw

idontknw Active Member

idontknw
    Veteran
    We’re not playing on recent versions of the game. This is 1.12, and the max iron you could even get per hour from a villager farm is probably around 10k. And that’s at full efficiency, which it takes a few hours to reach which would have to happen every single time you afk there. IG spawners are still a ton better and villager farms can’t really compete with them

15. TriactaSwift

Triacta
    Veteran
    I know its 1.12 I'm just saying this discussion is meaningless because in the future if the server were to update to newer versions it would be even more unlikely iron golems would be enabled because of the ease of creating them. I guess the only way to make it possible would be to drastically increase the price of villager spawn eggs and make villages insanely rare, but this would break the server in other ways. So again this discussion is meaningless.

16. idontknw

idontknw Active Member

idontknw
    Veteran
    As far as I know Becto has no plans to update, but if they did to 1.14+, villagers should be disabled. As it is now, increasing villager spawn egg costs isn’t neccesary because these farms are expensive alone and can’t even work that well due to the 10 villager / chunk rule.

17. Lord_Premiere

Lord_Premiere
    Ultra
    But the thing is you can look up a video spend a few hours building an iron golem farm using in game mechanics, and I think the extremely large majority would rather do that including that they are playing the game anyways than spend real life money on a golem spawner. There a gangs, factions, islands, even prison plots with insane massive builds for no reason but to look cool so to say someone more than likely wouldn’t be fine just building the large contraption for a something beneficial because they don’t feel like it is pretty far fetched as anyone who is not willing to put in the time probably isn’t willing to put in the 40$ either and I’d argue most would rather put time in than the money anyways.