Factions Use real name when teleporting

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by bunnaz, Feb 11, 2019.

1. bunnaz

bunnaz Well-Known Member

Bunnaz
    God
    Hi there,

Many people have been talking about TPA traps and the sort. Apparently there's some glitches where two players can have the same /nick as well(?) but I digress.

My proposal is to have /tpa requests display a player's real IGN instead of nickname. This would make issues about duplicate /nicks less impactful (as well as any possible future bugs) and would increase accuracy & communication among players.

Looking forward to your feedback.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. BorderPlayz

BorderPlayz Banned

bordrr
    God
    I think this would be cool. TP trapping is really dumb and would be cool to say goodbye to it. (sort of)

3. bunnaz

bunnaz Well-Known Member

Bunnaz
    God
    Wouldn't remove tpa trapping, but would make it easier for players to keep track of and know who they are teleporting/teleporting to

4. monkaKnife

monkaKnife Well-Known Member

monkaKnife
    God
    Thread title should be “remove nickname permissions for all ranks” or “I’m developing my own essential plugin replacement”

Awful suggestion.

5. Felicette

Felicette Manager

Felicette
    Manager
    When someone tpa's to you while they have a nickname, there's a tilde (~) before their name. Always check before accepting the tp request with /realname (nickname). If there's multiple online at once, just message the person before accepting.

As monka said, that's just how essentials works and it's not really fixable.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Bloopaloop

Bloopaloop Well-Known Member

Bloopaloop
    God
    This has been a thing since season 4 just don't be stupid.

7. Skizzles

Skizzles Well-Known Member

ISkizzlesI
    God
    It is fixable but I'm pretty sure becto runs a custom coded essentials... not only that with a ~ before nicknames it just takes a bit of reading to see who it is. Its factions, deceiving others is all part of the game.

• Great Post Great Post x 1
    • List
  8. sneakret

sneakret Well-Known Member

sneakret_sh
    God
    EssentialsX is an open source project on Github. It is not necessary for someone to "develop a replacement" just to change this one thing. Someone could fork the project, change it to display IGN rather than nick on teleport requests, and submit a pull request. In the meantime, Becto could switch to the forked plugin.

If it is true that Becto runs a custom build of EssentialsX, the change could be incorporated in that custom build (which is already a fork).

Granted, this probably isn't a priority for Becto, so it would be more effective to pursue it as an EssentialsX enhancement request, but "awful suggestion" seems unnecessarily harsh, and your in-game claims that Skizzles's "entire post is flase[sic]" and that he "doesnt[sic] know how plugins work" seem incorrect.

#8 sneakret, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. monkaKnife

monkaKnife Well-Known Member

monkaKnife
    God
    Better get to work, I don't see anyone else willing to do this when staff members have already said it will remain the way it is. If you didn't just read this thread you would know that I mentioned all this already as a possibility on this thread https://becto.net/threads/factions-and-potentially-server-wide-nick-glitch.4795/#post-33730 but I wouldn't expect you to make any intelligent/productive comments after our in-game conversation.

10. sneakret

sneakret_sh
    God
    I acknowledged that it probably wasn't a priority for Becto, and that it would be more effective to take it up with EssentialsX.

Our in-game conversation was about whether your statements about Skizzles were justified. I maintain that they were not. Further, your abuse toward me is unwarranted. There is no reason to insult anyone over this. I think we agree that Becto is not going to make this happen. Why make it personal?

11. Felicette

Felicette Manager

Felicette
    Manager
    Let's keep the conversation on topic and impersonal.

12. Warrior356

Warrior356 Well-Known Member

Warrior356
    God
    Well you can always use /realname before accepting. Plus its factions its known for back stabbing.

• Great Post Great Post x 1
    • List
  13. Skizzles

Skizzles Well-Known Member

ISkizzlesI
    God
    I could easily fork the build and fix this, but it's not needed... deceiving is a part of factions plain and simple and I think Bloop states it the best
    As for any comments about me just give it up, move on, and stop being toxic because it really gets old.
    Agreed Becto would not make it happen because why would they trust any custom fork from someone from the player base, it would require going over which at that point they might as well do it themself. I think this one needs a good ole lock lmao

14. sneakret

sneakret_sh
    God
    It took hours and hours of hard work, but I have finally finished the pull request: https://github.com/EssentialsX/Essentials/pull/2422

Okay, I admit, it only took seconds of work. It's a stupidly simple change. It was so simple, I forgot to "get to work" on it, and accidentally finished it before I started.

15. sneakret

sneakret_sh
    God
    They're welcome to review the change. It's pretty complicated though:
    https://github.com/EssentialsX/Essentials/pull/2422/commits/48dad90e1b5299ef53d5ae921ec3dbb3f8ec2376

16. Lucas S.

Lucas S. Well-Known Member

schottler3
    Veteran
    Well then. Yay

17. Jetpuffed

Jetpuffed Well-Known Member

Jetpuffed
    God
    I could fork it and add changes myself to make it toggleable, only if the community is up for it though.

18. Lucas S.

Lucas S. Well-Known Member

schottler3
    Veteran
    Yes

19. genericTrashbin

genericTrashbin Active Member

I agree with this. I understand i can do /realname, but what if you need to tp immediately? Either way I think this should be added and a good suggestion without turning the tide of the game.

20. KolbeyPlaysMC

KolbeyPlaysMC Member

KolbeyPlaysMC
    I'll give it a +1 only because I know that the players who are most culpable for doing this often make a hobby of it. Its really an underhanded tactic.