Survival Block Protect

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Bas, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Bas

Bas Owner

iBasss
    Owner
    Hi all,

We have a completely rewritten version of the survival blockprotect plugin that fixes all issues with the plugin ready to go, there is a big issue we're facing right now though...
    What should we do with the server to make the transition? We are unable to migrate the current regions to the new plugin so we would have to wipe all regions.

Do you guys think we should:
    • Start over the entire survival map (clean)
    • Just remove all current sponges and let players re-place them manually

Let me know how you guys feel about the situation.

2. Ralph12322

Ralph12322 Well-Known Member

HIGHCALIBER
    God
  3. LordCoffee

LordCoffee Well-Known Member

Lord_Coffee
    God
    So we either pick a wipe or a battle royale for all the iron farms on the server?

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Sundrop73
    Invader
    Manual re-place unless we can have a couple player vaults to bring spawners, etc with us

5. Dartino20

Dartino20 Admin

Dartino20
    Admin
    I feel that with allowing players to replace sponges, it has the potential that people could claim other peoples builds, e.g the public spawner that Jetpuffed built, which now venusssss has claimed when Jet's sponges expired.But, the community seem pretty chilled with each other too so who knows what'd happen.

EDIT:
    A reset would cause everyone's progress/builds to be lost, which would suck since Survival only reset late May 2019, so it hasn't even been a year. If it does reset, having a map download (if possible) would be nice so players can keep their builds.

I'm not sure what the better solution would be.

#5 Dartino20, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  6. Bas

Bas Owner

iBasss
    Owner
    Just wanted to discuss the options that im faced with right now, but I also feel like a wipe might be better.

7. Ralph12322

Ralph12322 Well-Known Member

HIGHCALIBER
    God
    yea maybe with a release of the "coming soon dungeons" aswell

8. Bas

Bas Owner

iBasss
    Owner
    Can do that :)

9. MasterofNames

MasterofNames Member

Greetings and salutations.

I am master of names. Part time uninspired builder, full time weapon and armor lore creator. I possess a black belt in sarcasm, I went to the Yale school of vocabulary based takedowns (Harvards' school of hardy har was expensive )and feel ready to speak on the options at hand.

Our only options are a mass scramble for domination of domains (uninformed, not everyone uses the discord or this forum) some of which do not belong to us. Lord Coffee. Venussss. But is it not said that sponges disappear anyway after a 90 day mark? Is that not how jetpuffed hold on his place was broken? That is user error, not the fault of the system or the sponges.

Should we wipe everything and start fresh, however... that would be equal ground.
    As someone who has built a mansion, a yacht, two different kinds of farms, hidden free armor and loot boxes all over the world, not to mention built countless starting houses for new players.... and bought several spawners from the store! .....this would not be the grandest option for me.

But it would be fair.

Is not the point of minecraft to build? I would perhaps be inspired to build again, should I lose everything.
    The friends and enemies you make along the way no matter how muted or mired in their own juices create a community of people that welcome you the first time you play and are there when you leave. Let's be honest, shall we? As long as the player base is here, it is worth restarting. As long as it doesn't happen too many times year.

The bigger question is, what else can we get in the server while it's being wiped? I hear people clamoring sometimes for this "pwarp" thing.
    Perhaps a new plugin can be snuck in while the wipe occurs?
    I don't quite know how a wipe would work, but there are ideas. An update, perhaps?

Tl:dr: I vote wipe.

10. dropu

dropu Admin

dropu
    Admin
    I'm not quite sure on which I feel is better, either the wipe or fight for good claims, as most of us aren't. I don't have any super good ideas or compromises that might make both sides happy at the current moment but will be sure to make another comment here if something pops up.

Let's talk about the wipe a little:
    The bad things would be the loss of all the work people have made along with any money people have spent on things like spawners or gear. The benefit would be a nice new working sponge plugin. I feel if we are going to do a wipe then in order to make up for those losses it'd need other things to be implemented as well alongside the new sponge plugin. A few ideas would be releasing all or most of the yet to be released dungeons with it, Player warps is also a big one that'd be nice. Fixing Creeper spawners (Kills whole stack with one hit so you can't farm them), as well as some of those other spawners that either are super rare and have very little use/value or some that just don't spawn mobs. On top of those things I think just one more thing to make it worth it which would be up to bas, some off of the top of my head ideas would be like a new boss that's actually very difficult to kill but high rewards ( Something that'd likely take team effort to kill) as any of the bosses aren't very hard and can be farmed easily, maybe you'd have a very little chance of getting a key to unlock the boss by defeating a harder dungeon or through a crate like rare crates.

I'll post again if I think of more Ideas or a better solution to make the wipe more worth it but I think if those things were to be added it'd definitely be worth it, please let me know what you guys think of what I've said above. :-D

EDIT:
    With the dungeons and new boss Idea (if it's something to even consider), maybe have a very low chance on all the dungeons for a 'dungeon key' along with a new crate and have a chance to get things from there like good spawners, dungeon gear or tools, new key for boss if its something that'll be added, and other things.

11. xxPantasia

xxPantasia Active Member

xxPantasia
    God
    Being a not great builder and not very active with other players currently, a wipe would be better in my opinion. Plus, a new survival start over could potentially give some new life to the server.

12. kristianIV

kristianIV Well-Known Member

KristianIV
    God
    Hello!

you may all know me as Lucifer

for these two options

option replace sponge:

Will there be a safety plan for the reclaim so other's cant go & claim/destroy builds?

will all the sponges be accounted for? (loss for removal)

Option wipe:

for all the amazing builds / acumulated wealth, will there be a lagacy map download? or a split server deligation?

i can think of numerous methods

will the wealth & certain items have the possibility of being compensated in ANY conceivable outcome's ? considering such a short time between wipe's

just thoughts..

despite i've made alot of Epic Builds on this server & gotten rich... i still would think the fairest solution to decide would be a vote system & accept whatever outcome.. anyone got thoughts on this?

other question i would add to this post:

Sponges aint the only issue.. what other issues would be fixed/added for a persuade us to sacrifice stuff?

13. guthixUll

guthixUll Well-Known Member

Lord_Guthix
    God
    A lot of good questions in the comment section so far.

I think a wipe would be refreshing & as the new sponge plugin is hopefully better/less buggy then it'll make players overall experience better. This unfortunately has to come with a clean map wipe as well so for the bigger builders of the server this would definitely be a con. Although.. would they be dedicated to replacing the hundreds of sponges they had put down.

My main question being:

- Will there be a player warp feature in this sponge plugin

Before survival wiped the player warp feature was a HUGE key component of socializing, balancing the in game economy, opening up shop opportunities for those who liked that. Lastly, but definitely not least it opened up the opportunity for players who don't have a rank to go to a player warp and make their first sum of money to get started.

14. Catskallibrur

Catskallibrur Member

I believe that it would be better to manually put down the sponges as for people not too lose all of there progress, andto rid of players who could be taking up space or are no longer active. I along with others dont want to lose there progress but i will trust what you have in mind.

15. jasannnnn

jasannnnn Active Member

venusssss
    Ultra
    As happy as I am to hear we're getting sponge fixes (and hopefully pwarps?) I'm sad to hear that these are the only two options.

Since survival hasn't even been going for a year since the previous reset, I feel like wiping the map isn't the best option. People have spent lots of money on gear from /store and for what? To be able to use it for a few months/weeks? I know many others, myself included, would feel like our real money had been wasted. Not to mention the builds and projects that people are still putting time into. While a map wipe would be nice for some, losing large projects might cause others to lose motivation and stop playing, further harming the dwindling playerbase. If there is a wipe, there should at least be a player vault system that would allow players to keep what they deem most valuable or some sort of compensation as Lucifer mentioned above.

As far as a manual replace situation, if this is the route taken, there should be a plan implemented so that people can retain their regions. People have school, work, and differing timezones, and shouldn't be expected to be online at the exact moment sponges despawn to even have a chance to claim their own builds. As others have mentioned in this thread, waiting for sponges to expire and raiding/claiming is a common thing in survival, even if most of the playerbase is friendly and help each other. If this is the route taken, players should be warned a good amount of time in advance so they can get regions and items in order. Perhaps the sponges can even be removed/replaced in small batches, which would take longer but would help players immensely.

If there are other additions that will come along with the new sponge plugin (pwarps, creeper fixes, dungeons, etc) I'm sure people will come out happy in the end either way. I, for one, am in favor of manually replacing sponges, though it would be most fair to put it to a vote.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Oliver forsberg

Oliver forsberg Well-Known Member

VainsLaw
    God
    I agree with all the comment above, in my opinion do I think a full reset over the map would be the best thing to do. people cant claim your stuff and greif you, it would be the most fair option

17. Makeb

Makeb Well-Known Member

Makeb
    God
    I vote on the wipe.

18. Juleah

Juleah Well-Known Member

xJuleah
    God
    Reset for sure. Gives a fair chance to new players who join to get a nicer start and it may make people want to become more active (myself included.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  19. JaideHellspur

JaideHellspur Well-Known Member

JaideHellspur
    Invader
    Voting for a reset along with a nice discounted sale, so i don't feel as bad about spending money on keys, and losing the items that I got from them.

(also please fix creeper spawners)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Kimzi

Kimzi Well-Known Member

Kimz_Koz
    Ultra
    i wouldn't like a wipe due to then all the store purchases just goes to waste so fast.. it does not feel fair to the players who has purchased alot of stuff to lose it so fast, on the other hand if the players who purchased stuff got store cash equal to what they have spent on the previous it would be fine for me :-P