earth

Discussion in 'General' started by Jedz, May 3, 2019.

1. Jedz

Jedz Well-Known Member

Jedz
    Raider
    hi, i realise this is probably supposed to go in "off-topic" however I feel that usually those posts get lost super fast and im hoping that this one won't. (if its a huge problem then you can move it i suppose).

we have approximately 12 or so years until the damage that we have done to the place we call home will be irreversible. which essentially means we have to take action now. if you care about not just the earth, but for humans, animals or ANYTHING please take action against like climate change whether its protesting against governments, picking up rubbish or even just doing as simple as clicking the links below and donating it would mean the world (literally).

links to check out:

- https://standfortrees.org/en/
    - https://welovetheearth.org/
    - https://www.greenpeace.org/international/

-
    -

I will leave you with a quote from one of the videos above:

"it is up to us to take care of this planet.
    It is our only home, we must globally warm our hearts
    and change the climate of our souls
    and realize that we are not apart from nature,
    we are a part of nature.
    And to betray nature is to betray us,
    to save nature, is to save us.
    Because whatever you're fighting for:
    Racism, Poverty, Feminism, Gay Rights,
    or any type of Equality.
    It won't matter in the least,
    because if we don't all work together to save the environment,
    we will all be equally extinct.

Sorry."

#1 Jedz, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
    • Great Post Great Post x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Bloopaloop

Bloopaloop Well-Known Member

Bloopaloop
    God
    Oh boy one of these threads. There's a lot of miss information when it comes to this topic. The green new deal didn't help at all with this spread of miss information either but I'll avoid talking about that.

Here is the video from https://welovetheearth.org/ on the energy category if you actually listen to people who aren't well informed themselves and as you can see just by the video Lil Dicky clearly knows next to nothing or very little and you can see that by the way he presents himself in this video.

If you actually want to reach the goals everyone is setting out to as far as the climate goes you've got to stop taking step backwards. Solar panels while they are considered a green energy source the production of a solar panel emits more toxins into the air so much so that a solar panel at this time can't generate enough clean energy in it's lifetime to out weigh the cost of it's production so you're basically creating a negative when you go for solar panels. Wind turbines also kill a significant amount of birds. Now these 2 forms of energy won't be able to produce the amount of energy needed to off set our dependence on fossil fuels.

If you want an actual solution it's been around for decades, but for whatever reason people choose to ignore it maybe out of fear when they hear nuclear power. Nuclear power plants don't emit greenhouse gases while generating electricity. Nuclear power by far has the lowest impact on the environment including air, land, water, and wildlife of any energy source. It produces no harmful greenhouse gases, isolates its waste from the environment, and requires less area to produce the same amount of electricity as other sources.

Aside from all of the above even if we cut all our co2 emissions it wouldn't be enough as china produces just under double what we do and make up around 27-29% of co2 emissions in the world.

If you want to educate yourself more on these types of energy sources and how they can help the climate and not fall into false propaganda from rappers and politicians than I'd highly advise watching this 8 minute video.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Lucas S.

Lucas S. Well-Known Member

schottler3
    Veteran
    Nice; I'm not too concerned. As a person of the United States, I'm sure people are aware of the dangers that are present if they do not conserve or make some wrong decisions higher up. Although; I kinda gotta say I have trust in the government and power companies to achieve our goals.

4. Jetpuffed

Jetpuffed Manager

Jetpuffed
    Manager
    Agreeing with bloop, Dicky's video misrepresents the whole situation and, while I like the song, is very contradictory. If you want to help in a way, I would look to how Germany is handling it, as they have a great system going on right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. MVKay52

MVKay52 Well-Known Member

ImMk
    Veteran
    I feel like if wind turbines kill birds that are dumb enough to fly into them, then it is effective in strengthening the genome for birds that aren’t stupid. Natural selection baby

Seriously tho, I appreciate the counterpoint. It’s not like in 12 years all of the sudden it’s going to be an apocalypse. Most of these statistics don’t even make sense. I’ve seen so many statistics that have different data that I can’t trust any of it. Of course it’s important to litter and polite excessively, but what are we gonna do about it. This port has not point as there’s nothing we can do individually. We don’t hold governmental power.

Additionally, animal agriculture contributes so much to all these problems, so when Lab-grown meat hits the market, give it a try! It’s harmless to extract the cells from animals needed to create cell cultures meat. Also, it tastes like traditional meat, it’s cleaner than traditional meat, and.... it’s literally REAL MEAT. It’s not artificial AT ALL!!!

We can’t individually help the environment directly. But when Lab-grown meat hits the market in the next 5-10 years, try it out!

If you have any more questions on Lab-grown meat, message me...I’ll send you my academic paper I’ve been working on all year surrounding Lab-grown meat.

6. MrKittle

MrKittle Well-Known Member

Lord_Coffee
    God
    For a while I've been thinking about the possibilities of uranium batteries. If properly developed they can power a car without any risks of radiation.

7. Jedz

Jedz Well-Known Member

Jedz
    Raider
    My point wasn’t supposed to be totally about lil dicky at all but if that’s all you wanna take away from it then okay, i left the links there to be able to watch the video which the money goes into charities towards helping the earth and also in his other link there is a donation link, that was the only point of that video I wanted. The actual point of this post was to hopefully get people to actually do something about it, whether it was donating or actual acts like protesting, picking up rubbish, planting trees etc and looking at alternative ways for power is another option that will help. even if we don’t have 12 years and we have more the point of this post was to hopefully get more people thinking about what they are doing to help the earth. I believe I have seen one of those videos before, also I didn’t realise that some of his points weren’t valid so thank you but hey, as long as I got you thinking about actions then I’m happy :) (also this probably didn’t even make sense but oh well gg)

8. Bloopaloop

Bloopaloop Well-Known Member

Bloopaloop
    God
    The reason I linked a lil dicky video is because the website you linked - https://welovetheearth.org/ hosts all of his videos. I get the website states that " The profits generated from Earth streams and views will be donated to select groups of nonprofits that tackle issues like climate change, the energy crisis, and sustainable farming." but you'd be surprised at just how much money generated is usually not donated to charities and written off as salaries or something else and I'm not being specific towards this website when I say this. It's a sad thing that most people don't realize.

As far as the website linked and lil dicky it appears to just be a money scheme or a fame raiser. They don't specify anywhere that I could find what exact charities they are going to donate to they just give a vague answer to the type of charity it will be. The information listed in every single section that he has a video on is also poorly researched or in some cases misinformed or wrong. Overall it looks like a very poorly put together website and I wouldn't buy their merch or support them in any shape way or form, seems exactly like it's being used in the same way Alexandria Ocasio Cortez did with the green new deal.

For anyone actually wanting to donate money I'd advise researching into the nonprofit before hand and to donate directly to them and not through some 3rd party as not all of your donated money will actually reach the nonprofit if you choose to go through a 3rd party in some cases it can be as little as 30% actually going to them. Almost every nonprofit will have their own website so that's where you'd want to look to donate directly, any website that isn't directly that is usually a 3rd party, even if there is no website there will always be a way to directly donate.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Great Post Great Post x 1
    • List
  9. Showy_Dudy

Showy_Dudy Well-Known Member

Showy_Dudy
    Invader
    Most countries have been implementing tons of things to help this cause, especially recently, there's absolutely no need for this post. Staff please move this to off-topic.

10. shaqs_burritos

shaqs_burritos Well-Known Member

shaqs_burritos
    God
    Personally, even though I care about animals, it is our own fault if people die out, so it isn't something out of our control, as Lucas said I trust the current government, to an extent, but China's is dumping crap into the sky with their item production, which is a huge problem.

11. Jedz

Jedz Well-Known Member

Jedz
    Raider
    there is clearly a need, if you have such a huge problem with it being in General then they can move it, but there is always a need to spread awareness about this

12. Jedz

Jedz Well-Known Member

Jedz
    Raider
    Cheers for that, Greenpeace is another great non profit which I linked to donate to as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Vindigo

Vindigo Mod

Vindigo
    Mod
    Going green is super important but I think we should re-evaluate how we go about doing it. Some 'green methods" are actually more harmful to the environment. It's hard to make a difference as an individual on something like nation wide power production but getting involved with energy conservation/ recycling programs can make a pretty huge difference even if it's only in a small community. Just make sure you do research before joining anything.

14. Marvelous

Marvelous Well-Known Member

Publerincen
    God
    My town is getting a lot more rain lately and last night was a very loud rain thunderstorm,surprise I didn't lose power. I can't remember a week where there wasn't rain.

15. guthixUll

guthixUll Well-Known Member

Lord_Guthix
    God
    humans built the world we live in entirely from fossil fuels. it's really hard to undo now, even more so when fossil fuels are a limited source.

16. GingieMC

GingieMC Active Member

Guys, haven't you seen The Day After Tomorrow? Only the northern hemisphere will be frozen and places like Mexico and Australia will be completely fine. And in my opinion, Australia is the best place in the world to live a healthy life. So... yeah...

17. 10scorpion19

10scorpion19 Well-Known Member

10scorpion19
    God
    With the whole Earth problem, it is starting to get very noticeable now but it can be exaggerated at some times. Like jetpuffed said, Germany has already started to do things. For example, they found a way to return plastic back into its natural compounds and they started making the companies making plastic water bottles responsible. I think they also did this thing where you can earn small amounts of money if you put your plastic water bottle into this machine.