Addressing posts about Becto

Discussion in 'General' started by guthixUll, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Showy_Dudy

Showy_Dudy Well-Known Member

Showy_Dudy
    Invader
    I can definitely agree with Warrior in the sense that staff rarely go out of their way to catch hackers. Maybe not to the extent of since Soapiee was staff, but I rarely see staff taking initiative to randomly check players. Basically the only bans that happen are from reports from players, but this is a big issue because players can't report non-combat hacks or even be aware of it.

2. Vindigo

Vindigo Mod

Vindigo
    Mod
    I've said this before in a previous thread. Finding and hiring good, trustworthy and reliable devs is a costly, tedious process that does put the server at a rather large risk.

3. Warrior356

Warrior356 Well-Known Member

Warrior356
    God
    Half the team is in my timezone including you ;-)

4. Showy_Dudy

Showy_Dudy
    Invader
    Then I guess you guys have to go through with it because the server has been losing players at a very noticeable rate. As I said before, 2 devs are not enough to provide for an entire server. There's just not enough creativity or manpower in 2 people to satisfy the needs of hundreds of players. Even if it takes you some time to find a trustworthy, experienced dev it is definitely worth it in the long run and the changes could help bring a lot more players to the server.

5. Felicette

Felicette Admin

Felicette
    Admin
    This is just completely false, I've been on Kitpvp for more than 10 hours alone this week waiting for hackers, not including spectating and banning them.

No, there's two staff in Vin's timezone, including her. Then there are some in the UK, but the rest in the USA. Timezones are a huge factor to when you see staff on, just get on when you don't usually play and you'll see someone "new".

6. Showy_Dudy

Showy_Dudy
    Invader
    I was referring to Factions. I rarely play on Kitpvp so I can't speak for what's happening there. But that's one place that staff don't need to take initiative in because the majority of cheats on there are combat-related and can be noticed and reported immediately by players. In gamemodes like Factions or Survival, lots of hacks are non-combat related. Just to name a few: x-ray, mob-aura, and duping are just a few of the most common ones and are pretty much undetectable from players for obvious reasons. I haven't been on in 2-3 days, however, I doubt much has changed and for the past few months I've definitely seen a lack of initiative from staff on the Factions server.

7. Felicette

Felicette Admin

Felicette
    Admin
    I go on Factions often and check on these things, I do this in vanish because most individuals who could be doing this would stop once they see a staff member on. I go on every server and check on mostly everyone, both them chatting and what they're doing in game. Although I can't speak for other Admins, I'm sure they do this on their own time too.

8. Showy_Dudy

Showy_Dudy
    Invader
    Vanished staff can still be seen on tab and /list. Even if this was fixed it had to have been extremely recently so we would have been able to see you guys on for the majority of the past few months. From what I've seen, it is very rare for staff to go in vanish and try to find cheaters on Factions. This could very well be due to a timezone difference but remember there are many many people complaining about this issue so I highly doubt that's the case. I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone and I'm sure you have been working hard as I see you on a lot but judging the staff team as a whole you guys are definitely not taking enough initiative.

9. Felicette

Felicette Admin

Felicette
    Admin
    No we can't, it's been like this for a while as well, more than a few months.

There are plenty of staff that get on and stay on daily, what more can helpers and mods do? They're already doing everything they need to be doing in my opinion. How do you think we could take more initiative? I'd like to hear your thoughts, constructive and respectful criticism would be appreciated.

10. shaqs_burritos

shaqs_burritos Well-Known Member

shaqs_burritos
    God
    Could we possibly have more staff members on the actual server for just generally helping the community. You guys are ok on forums, and on discord a ton, but if some players could be more active on the actual server, it is greatly appreciated. I have seen few staff very few times in the last 2 months.

11. Showy_Dudy

Showy_Dudy
    Invader
    Firstly, my issue is that on most staff applications they say that they will play a certain amount of time yet most fail to meet that time or even get close to it. I've even seen a post complaining about staff inactivity and the person posted screenshots of 3 or 4 staff (about 1/3 of the staff team) who hadn't played in weeks. I think you guys need to monitor your staff (only about 10 or 11 so not super hard) and make sure that they play around the amount of time they committed to. I'm not asking you to constantly monitor them, every few weeks or so maybe just check up on their activity.

Give your staff members some incentives to play. I believe it was Venerg (former staff member) who said that he didn't feel valued on the team and was never given encouragement and always felt like he was replaceable. Maybe that's why they don't feel the need to play as much. The upper management should constantly show their appreciation towards the mods and helpers to show that they are valued and encourage them to be more active. At the same time, don't be too nice, if a staff member is going on breaks constantly you guys need to warn them that their position is at risk and hopefully that will get them to get on. It doesn't matter whether they have a legitimate excuse or not if they can't commit the time to being a staff member then they shouldn't be one.

Train your staff members to catch cheaters. Let's be real here, half the staff team has no clue what a hacker looks like. Most of the moderators might as well be helpers because all they do is mute. They don't know how to catch a hacker, much less what one looks like. Your upper management needs to dedicate a few hours to go through with each staff member about the different hacks and how to identify them. I know this might take some extra time, but it will give you more quality staff to monitor the server.

As I said earlier, you guys need to hop on the server yourselves and find rule-breakers on your own. Don't just sit in the Discord and wait for players to send in reports. That is an extremely ineffective way of moderating a server and I talked about why in my previous post. I've noticed this Discord sitting has become more and more common recently and it's not a good thing.

Finally, just hire some devs. I think we can all agree the main reason this server has been dying is due to the lack of changes and poor changes overall. I already talked about this in my previous posts but to sum it up, 2 devs isn't enough to provide updates to an entire server. It will probably be a very time-consuming process to find a good dev, but I can assure you it will be well worth it in the long run. As Vindigo said, it's a risk, but what you guys need right now is risks. I'm sure even you guys aren't blind enough to not notice that this server is clearly dying. If we don't change this server is 100% going to die, and I've been saying that for almost a year now.

Just remember none of these are directly pointing at you or any of the staff members in particular. Everything I've said is towards the staff team as a whole. You guys are a team and should be considered as one. I've probably mentioned every single one of these suggestions and more in previous threads but it's probably good that they are all summed up for you to read in one post.

12. Showy_Dudy

Showy_Dudy
    Invader
    Exactly my 4th point I'm glad to see people are finally catching on.

13. Mildsawss

Mildsawss Admin

MildSawss
    Admin
    This point I would like to specifically point on. Whom was it that has not played on the Becto server, and is a Becto staff member, in "Weeks"?

14. Felicette

Felicette Admin

Felicette
    Admin
    We check staff activity weekly, when individuals apply they're required to show the activity they're often online for. While this does kinda imply that this will be their activity during staff, it's no guarantee that they'll be on for that amount of time. In my opinion, we should push for that amount of activity if they say they play for that long, but there's a lot of factors that attribute to less activity. For most staff, we get on and try to play or find rule breakers but then just get bombarded with trolls and questions and it's incredibly discouraging for, let's say, a helper who doesn't know everything yet. Instances like this and much more things, including irl schedule changes and events and activities popping up that require more care than Becto (family, moving, etc), all attribute to the staff's current activity. Overall, I'd like staff members to try to meet their prior activity and future applicants to be truthful in their applications, maybe we can add a requirement to include activity after getting staff and holding said staff member to what they include in that section?

What incentives would you suggest? And what should they be based on? Hours of activity or amount of restrictions in... maybe a month? I'll see what the management think of this.

Most staff members can catch hackers and are actively doing so. However I feel a group call where we discuss it further and answer any questions anyone may have would be beneficial. I'll see if Jet can organize this, as he's experienced with hacks and pvp, however if he's unavailable I'll see if I can put together something for staff members that can attend.

While I agree, it would be best and most optimal for that, staff does it as much as they can. All staff members have lives outside of Becto that, unfortunately, takes up time and comes before Becto. Some staff occasionally can't get on and wait for a hacker but can get on after a hacker has been reported to spectate and ban them, then go back to what they were doing. I do this while working on class work, it's not the best but school comes before Becto for me. Being on Discord is the next best thing when staff aren't able to be on for hours at a time.

I would love changes to be released left and right but I'm not sure we're open to hiring devs at the moment. Regardless of what I think, I haven't been informed upon dev things as that's Jet and Bas' business. As most people know, Survival had its beta and should be out soon (I don't know the date, please don't ask), and after Kitpvp will be worked on and updated/reset (as indicated by Jet's Kitpvp suggestions thread). Again, I can't speak for or advise management to hire devs as Admins don't deal with things of that manner.

I appreciate the time to sum everything up and include it respectfully into a constructive piece of writing, hopefully some of these can be talked about and fixed within the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Post Great Post x 1
    • List
  15. Showy_Dudy

Showy_Dudy
    Invader
  16. Mildsawss

Mildsawss Admin

MildSawss
    Admin
    This was debunked. At the time, I was moving into a new apartment. Excuse me for being gone for more than 3 days because I was crossing the town, moving things into storage alone, and whatnot. Most of the team had gone on a trip with family as well, but honestly, that is not really the community's business. I don't mean to come across as rude, but as Fel said on that thread, we are required to get confirmation from our Staff Manager at the time before we go on a break. This could be for a vacation, or for something else. We are human, we are young adults, or we are teenagers. We all deserve a mental break from time to time, just as jobs give "personal" days and "sick" days, we deserve them to, within humanly rights.

Please stop ranting on about staff inactivity. It's not really the community's job to do that, its the Staff Manager's. This hypetrain needs to "pipe down".

17. Showy_Dudy

Showy_Dudy
    Invader
    I think that is a great idea and will definitely promote activity. As you mentioned, applicants tend to play a lot before, during, and right after their application and then as the weeks and months go on after being accepted their activity tends to slow down quite a lot.

Cosmetics are usually a good way to promote activity. Discord emoji's, staff exclusive cosmetic gear, or anything of that sort based on hours played. Even something like a simple "Thank you" or an "I appreciate what you're doing for us" every once in a while will suffice. According to what Venerg had said, things like that had rarely happened and he as a staff felt unvalued.

That would be a great idea. Although you may disagree, many of us in the community feel that a lot of staff are fairly uninformed in terms of hacking. I think this could definitely help with that.

I want to highlight that "occasionally." If it was occasionally, I would be completely fine with it and I wouldn't complain at all. The problem is many staff consistently cannot get on which is when there's an issue.

If you could ask Bas or Jet to read this suggestion I'd really appreciate it because this is definitely the most important suggestion out of all and I think it would definitely benefit the server.

I hope some of these ideas can be implemented. I've been a member of this server for a long time now and I'd rather not see it go down the gutter.

18. Luke!

Luke! Active Member

Lukez
    God
    I agree with Guthix, with everything but I would like for the higher staff to address whats happening with the server.

19. Showy_Dudy

Showy_Dudy
    Invader
    I'm not pointing the finger directly at you. I'm talking about the staff team as a whole. There's a reason why I haven't thrown a single name out in any of my posts. You're right, knowing where you've gone is none of our business, but when you guys are consistently gone over and over (which has been happening for months) and affecting the players' experiences on the server is when it becomes the community's business. I realize that you guys are required to get confirmation from the manager before you go on a break which is why I'm also making multiple suggestions to the management because I don't think they are perfect either. Again, no one has an issue if this is a once in a while sort of thing. But over the last few months, the amount of staff activity has been extremely inconsistent which is an issue. That's not the typical vacation for a few weeks sort of thing. Jobs give personal days but guess what happens when you use them too much and it starts severely impacting your performance? You get fired.

I understand you guys are human, but if a person can't commit the time required to be staff then they shouldn't have applied in the first place or should just simply resign. Once they are ready to become active again they can re-apply whenever they'd like.

You're right it's not our job to talk about staff inactivity, it's the Staff Manager's. However, this issue has been ongoing for months and it's been ruining our experience on the server which I think gives us the right to address this issue. "This hypetrain needs to pipe down." Are you serious? Have you looked at the player count recently? This server needs serious improvement at the moment. You have to realize most of us have spent hundreds of hours and dollars on this server. We aren't just going to sit back and let the server die out.

Just to be clear, I'm not "ranting", I've been giving suggestions on what I think you guys could improve on.

20. Felicette

Felicette Admin

Felicette
    Admin
    I'll mention it to the other Admins and management and see their opinions.

I actually love the idea of cosmetics, but what type of cosmetics would you suggest? I'd like Discord emojis for staff that are active in the Discord but I'm not sure how fair that would be for the rest of the active individuals, as they wouldn't be able to use/get something similar for having the similar or more activity than said staff member. In addition, can you clarify what you mean by "Discord emoji's"? Because, in my mind, there are two options; an active staff member in this hypothetical situation can either change up their nickname emoji (Currently, all staff have a crown) or they can suggest emojis to be added to the server itself. I think the most probable addition would be a suggestion to add another emoji for everyone to use, Bas likes how he's set up the staff nicknames and I don't think he'd want to change them.
    For cosmetic gear, I can't think of anything that could be added that wouldn't give staff an advantage compared to regular players. Any ideas? I'll also bring this up to other admins and management.

I'll make sure the staff know they're appreciated, I try to mention it when I get the chance to the staff members I actively talk to but I agree, we all need to be thanked if we're working hard and contributing.

I respect your opinions and understand where you're coming from, I'll see if Jet (or I and other admins) can organize something to help the staff out this or next weekend.

Really the only thing I can say is that we get busy, I know you've heard this probably enough in your time on Becto but we have lives beyond Becto. I believe we have at least one person available 24/7 at the moment (while there are some blackspots in availability, 20/7 sounds weird) and, even if they get on when someone's reported, it's still something from an individual that probably wouldn't have gotten on if someone wasn't reported. I understand where you're coming from and we do push for in game activity, but we also understand and sympathize if someone's busy often throughout the week. If it becomes a constant issue, I'm sure Dean talks to them and deals with it from there. Again, if you want to report a specific staff member, please do so in a ticket (appeal department so only Admins and above can view them).

I've asked Admins and above to look through my replies on this and give me ideas and criticism about what I've proposed, that included.

• Great Post Great Post x 1
    • List